Peter Cavanaugh

Misery accomplished

“Some people continue to defend trickle-down theories which assume that economic growth, encouraged by a free market, will inevitably succeed in bringing about greater justice. Meanwhile, the excluded are still waiting.” -- Pope Francis – “Evangelii Gaudium” (2013).

We let it happened on our watch – a trillion and a half borrowed dollars making the rich yet richer at the expense of the old, sick, powerless and poor – Americans all.

Shame on you for abandoning integrity and joining the moneychangers, Congressman Tom McClintock.

Record crowds are already turning out in Roseville, Mariposa, Oakhurst and elsewhere in the Fourth District to hear from Democratic contenders dedicated to driving you out of the temple. And as Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass) might happily observe, they’re all ‘girls.’ Newspapers in LA and San Francisco already agree that we are in serious play for the first time in decades. These ladies are resisting, persisting, insisting and enlisting.

Donald Trump signed the “Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017” into law before leaving for an expensive Christmas vacation at Mar-A-Lago, his private club in West Palm Beach. It wasn’t long before he was bragging to millionaire friends in his bar, “You all just got a lot richer.” He might have been looking in the mirror. The law puts many new millions into Trump’s own pocket in the immediate future with lots more saved for the Trump family not that far down the road.

With a single signature Mr. President, you made yourself functionally obsolete, having served your primary purpose as president of the powerful by signing into law the most massive transfer of wealth in our nation’s history. Republican donors unheard of, but not unheeded, wanted no more, but would accept nothing less. Your services are no longer required. Pence will be encouraged to pounce. His obeisance is proven. He’ll stay curbed.

For the 1% of our population at the very top, a mission of misery for the masses has been accomplished.

83% of the new Republican tax “reform law” benefits will go to folks on top of the hill after 10 years, but 60% will actually go to the top 1% percent of the top 1%. That’s one out of 10,000 citizens grabbing 60% of the action, leaving the remaining 40% to 9,999 others.

Some 92 million middle-class Americans will end up paying more in taxes by the end of a decade, eight million this year alone - 13 million Americans will lose their health insurance as the rest face sharply rising premiums for significantly less coverage. The devastation won’t stop there.

Here come “responsible” Republican cuts to Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid and other vital social programs in the name of “deficit reduction” and “budget balancing.”

Infrastructure investment? Bring back toll roads.

Universal health care? As long as it’s The “Star Wars” plan – offered in a galaxy far, far away. Food stamps? Let them eat cake. Free cake? Only as paid for.

Never before in the history of our Republic have so few robbed so many so ruthlessly under the guise of free enterprise - dollars returned for pennies invested at the very top of the pyramid.

Feel the trickle? Or was it a trick? The Democrats on the June primary ballot with McClintock, Jessica Morse, Regina Bateson and Roza Calderon, say it was tragic.

Tom McClintock offered the measure his “enthusiastic support” on behalf of California taxpayers. Tom also claims that those who insist that “trickle down” doesn’t work are Marxists.

Such as Pope Francis?

  Comments