Kelsi Stieler, who will attend California State University, Fresno, on a full-ride four year Smittcamp Scholarship, was named the 2015 Yosemite High School Student of the Year June 2, before the entire student body during the school’s final assembly of the year.
Stieler, with a 4.36 GPA, was selected for the honor by the YHS teaching staff. She was presented with a $450 Target gift card provided by the Oakhurst Sierra Rotary Club.
A product of Coarsegold Elementary School, Stieler will major in Liberal Studies, with plans to return to the Mountain Area to teach third grade after receiving her teaching creditial.
“I want to give back to the community that has given so much to me,” Stieler said.
Stieler was one of 21 YHS valedictorians who were honored at the May 7 Paul and Martha Pitman Awards Banquet. She also was the recipient of several Community Awards totaling more than $3,000.
She was the senior class president, vice president of CSF, Key Club secretary, Academic Decathlon silver medalist in math, full IB diploma candidate, and life member of the California Scholastic Federation.
In addition to her academic achievements, she was captain of both the school’s girls soccer team, and golf team that won the CIF D-II Section Championship this year.
She is the daughter of Mike and Heather Stieler.
Additional Badger Achievement Awards
Badger Achievement Awards announced at the assembly are as follows:
* Agriculture: Cody Gauthier, Jacob Champion.
* Career Tec Ed: Kristin Bonillas (digital media), Ryan Losee (automotive), Dallas Gray (welding), Tyler McIntyre, and Katelyn Young (family & consumer)).
* English: Breeaunna Lewis.
* Fine Arts: Jason Surin (band), Jocelyn Boe (choir), Maya Mendonca (theater arts), Robyn Jensen (art).
* Foreign language: Jonathan Wharton, Katelyn Suderman.
* Mathematics: Olivia Pearson, Chase Lassos.
* Cadet Corps: Tyler Pierce.
* Science: Olivia Pearson, Jonathan Wharton.
* Social Science: Chase Lassos (history), Bryan Godoy (history), Kelsi Stieler (psychology).
Selected by the student body, social studies teacher Rebecca Hardison, this year’s Senior Project chairperson and adviser, was named Teacher of the Year.
Dave Maynez, the district’s security/safety supervisor, was named Staff Member of the Year by the students. This is Maynez’s first year in the district, after serving in a similar position at Liberty High School.
- Staff report