Here's how to protect your home with defensible space
CalFire announced that all burning in Madera and Mariposa counties below 2,000 feet elevation is suspended beginning Thursday, May 17, at 8 a.m.
Open burning is allowed above 2,000 feet with valid permits only. Residents need to contact the burn day information line in their county prior to burning:
▪ Madera: 877-HAZ-BURN (877-429-2876)
▪ Mariposa: 209-966-1200
CalFire says residents burning above 2,000 foot will be cited if they burn outside their permit area, and residents will be held liable for any fire that escapes control.
More rules and tips:
▪ Burn piles must be no bigger than 4 feet by 4 feet.
▪ A water source and a tool must be available at the burn location.
▪ A responsible adult must be in attendance at all times.
▪ Scrape the area around the burn pile down to bare mineral soil and don’t burn on windy days.