The Madera County Office of Education has announced the following upcoming academic decathlons and events:
* Mock trial — 1:30 p.m., Dec. 10, 2014, before the Honorable Edward P. Moffat in the Bass Lake Courthouse; and 1:30 p.m., Dec. 9 and 11 at the Madera County Courthouse.
High school students from Madera County will act as attorneys, witnesses, court clerks and bailiffs as they compete in this year’s mock trial. Students will argue the case, The People vs. Shem, a hypothetical trial involving the theft of a famous painting. The awards ceremony will be held at 7 p.m., Dec. 11 at the Madera County Office of Education.
* Madera County Academic Decathlon interview and essay portions — Jan. 30, 2015 at the Madera County Office of Education. The academic decathlon speech, super quiz and objective tests will be held 2:30 p.m., Feb. 7, 2015 at Madera South High School.
This year’s topic is New Alternatives in Energy: Ingenuity and Innovation. The super quiz begins at 2:30 p.m., followed by a reception and awards ceremony. High school students will take tests in the areas of art, economics, literature, mathematics, music, science and social science. Subjective events include essay, interview and speech. The public is invited to attend.
* Madera County Academic Pentathlon Math Tournament — 8 a.m. - 2 p.m., March 13, 2015 at the State Center Community College - Madera Center. Students from 16 Madera County middle schools will participate in a math tournament and essay competition.
* Madera County Academic Pentathlon — 11:15 a.m., March 21, 2015, at Ranchos Middle School. Students from 16 Madera County middle schools will participate in a speech competition, literature test and super quiz. The super quiz topic this year is science. Following the quiz, lunch and an awards ceremony will be held. The public is invited to attend.
* Madera County Compact Luncheon — 11 a.m. - 1 p.m., April 29, 2015, at the Madera County Office of Education; cost is $30 per person. The Madera County Compact will award a local business the Crystal Tower Award for their partnership with schools in Madera County. The public is invited to attend. Reservations: (559) 662-3873 or email@example.com.
* Madera County ArtsFest — 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., May 30, 2015, at the Madera County Office of Education. Madera County ArtsFest is a fun and free community festival promoting art. The event will feature face painting, hands-on art activities, live art demonstrations, performing art groups, student artwork, food, and more. The event is free and the public is invited to attend.
Details: Kristi Winter, events developer, Madera County Office of Education, (559) 662-3873, firstname.lastname@example.org.
— Madera County Office of Education