Sierra Tel, serving both Eastern Madera County and Mariposa County, unveiled its 2018 phone directory Dec. 28.
The 406-page directory features the Mariposa Museum and History Center on the cover and the history of the center on the back inside cover.
The new directory includes business and residential phone numbers for Oakhurst, Ahwahnee, Bass Lake, Fish Camp, Yosemite, Coarsegold, Raymond, North Fork, Mariposa, Catheys Valley, Coulterville, Hornitos, Mt. Bullion and Midpines.
The directories also include useful information including government representatives, emergency preparedness and emergency numbers, senior services, caller ID blocking, Sierra Tel customer services, schools, community information, maps and a calendar of events.
More than 20,000 copies of the the directory will be distributed through the mail starting Jan. 2 and additional copies will be available at the Sierra Tel office, 49150 Crane Valley Road (426) in mid-February.
History of the Mariposa Museum and History Center
In the spring of 1957, 175 community members met to establish the Mariposa County Historical Society. The old Masonic building on Sixth Street was selected as a fitting location, and Louise Hudson was named curator.
A dedication ceremony was held on Oct. 19, 1958. Founding directors of the Historical Society were Superior Court Judge Thomas Coakley, Flora Wise, Walter D. McLean, Harry Odgers, Helen Wagner, N.D. Chamberlain, Alta Castagnetto, Thomas McSwain, Marguerite Campbell, Ruth Massey, John Fullum, Douglas Hubbard, Vera Preston, Roy McDonnell, and Thomas B. Price. Horace Meyers was membership chair.
In 1967, after a need for more fire-resistant accommodations was identified, Judge Coakley announced during the Historical Society’s 10th Anniversary celebration that $25,000 had been anonymously donated for this purpose. The Mariposa County Board of Supervisors soon followed with another $25,000 donation and, in July 1969, Coakley donated the property that would become the site of the Mariposa County Library and History Center.
The community of Mariposa rallied around the project and hundreds of volunteers lent a hand, including Boy Scouts who helped clear the site, and on May 23, 1971, 600 people gathered for a dedication ceremony.
The Mariposa Museum and History Center has since been recognized by the Smithsonian Institution as one of the best small museums in America, and is home to exhibits depicting local history that includes the California Gold Rush and Native American heritage.
A bell that adorned the church patio of the Mariposa Presbyterian Church in the 1930s stands proudly at the history center. The bell was sold to a church in San Francisco when Everett Bagby converted the Presbyterian Church to offices in 1939. In 1952 it was donated to San Francisco’s Society of California Pioneers, where it remained until 1967, when Coakley arranged for its loan to the history center. The bell was donated to the center in 1998.
Native American heritage is richly represented in an indoor area that previously housed the county library. Other popular exhibits include the Counts Residence – the nineteenth-century home of two generations of Mariposa County Treasurers, George and Samuel Counts – as well as the original Mariposa Gazette building constructed in 1854 as a Knights of Temperance Hall before serving as a saloon and, finally, home to the newspaper. Visitors may also tour working blacksmith and broom-making shops, and a carriage house.
None of this would be possible without the generous support of board members, docents, volunteers, and patrons.
Details: (209) 966-2924 - 5119 Jessie Street, Mariposa - visit www.mariposamuseum.com.