On Aug. 4, Madera County Sheriff deputies patrolling the closed area off Douglas Station Road due to the Willow Fire near North Fork located an outdoor marijuana grow. The renters advised law enforcement that they had a medical card to grow and didn’t know they couldn’t grow marijuana outdoors. The renters then removed the plants, which were destroyed by the deputy. Case was forwarded to MADNET and code enforcement.
Other calls to Madera County Sheriff’s Office include:
* Report of child bitten on the hand by a dog in front of Vons. Dog placed in quarantine at Animal Control in Bass Lake. Report written and case forwarded to Animal Control.
* Report of possible assault on Highway 41. Suspect placed under arrest for criminal threats, and case forwarded to district attorney’s office.
* Residential burglary reported to home on Wortham Road.
* Deputy dispatched to Wortham Road regarding male who shot himself with a gun in the chest. After further investigation, the subject said he shot himself with a crossbow. Subject placed on hold, and report report forwarded to Madera County Mental Health for review.
* Report of physical fight between two elderly females on Road 426. Parties had minor bruises and both declined to press charges.
* Burglary report to home on Covey Court.
* Wade McKay was arrested for domestic violence, which led to an extended stand-off with Madera County Sheriff deputies. McKay was released on bail the following morning.
* Vandalism to Madera County Sheriff’s citizen patrol vehicle on Quartz Mountain Road. Case closed due to lack of evidence.
* A resident off Longview Lane East reported a telephone scam, in which the victim lost several thousand dollars following a transfer of funds.
* Report of suspicious female on Highway 41. Deputies determine female appeared to be disoriented, and spoke with her husband. Case forwarded to Adult Protective Services for follow-up.
* Residential burglary reported to home at Spring Hill Road.
* Report of a man working in the Sierra National Forest at Clover Meadow who was struck by a tree. He was transported to Fresno by Air Ambulance.
* Report of vandalism to home on Cascadel Road. Report closed until leads develop.
* Fraudulent check cashed at business on Road 222. Case forwarded to detectives.
Vandalism to mail box clusters on Road 628. Case to be closed pending further investigative leads.
* Report of residential burglary to home on Road 432.
* Vandalism to home of Road 432.
* Burglary reported to home on Road 274.
* Report of personal water craft striking a pontoon, in which minor damage resulted.
* Report of female locked inside the boat launch dock. Despite efforts to locate a responsible party for the boat dock area, the deputy was forced to cut a cable securing the chain link gate.
* Vandalism to school storage building on Road 600. Case closed due to lack of evidence.
* Park ranger reports an outdoor marijuana grow at Hensley Lake. It is later discovered that MADNET and the California Department of Fish and Wildlife were already aware of this. Report closed.
NOTE: The above are a sampling of the 99 calls to the Madera County Sheriff’s Office for the week of Aug. 3-9, and are in no way inclusive. All suspects are assumed innocent until proven guilty.