Welcome to sierrastar.com, a news, information and communication service available on the Internet's World Wide Web. The service combines much of The SIERRA STAR newspaper with additional material available only on sierrastar.com. Both The SIERRA STAR and sierrastar.com are divisions of The Fresno Bee, a subsidiary of The McClatchy Company.
At this time, there is no cost for using the basic or premium services of sierrastar.com. From time to time there may be premium content available via subscription or surcharge, and those areas will be clearly marked. Because this is an advertising-supported service, we encourage you to patronize the advertisers that help to make this service possible.
The SIERRA STAR newspaper's electronic archives carry a fee of $2.95 per full-text article downloaded. Note that most news articles remain available for seven days in the pages of sierrastar.com. Additional information, including credit card information may be required to complete this purchase.
Copyrights and trademarks
Material published on sierrastar.com, including articles, photos, graphics, bulletin board postings, audio and video clips, and other content, is copyrighted by The SIERRA STAR, or by other information providers who have licensed their content for use on sierrastar.com. Additionally, the entire content of sierrastar.com is also copyrighted as a collective work under the United States copyright laws; the owner of the collective work is The SIERRA STAR. You cannot reproduce, republish or redistribute material from The SIERRA STAR, the Associated Press, the New York Times News Service, the Washington Post-Los Angeles Times News Service, Scripps Howard News Service, Newhouse News Service and other news services and syndicates in any way without the written consent of the copyright owner.
You may, however, electronically store a reasonable portion of sierrastar.com content for your personal, non-commercial use by making a single electronic copy on your computer's hard drive, a single copy on a disk or other media or a single copy in printed form. You agree, however, that you will not store or archive a significant portion of the content or create a database using the content.
These rules also apply:
- You will not in any way violate the intellectual property laws protecting the content accessible through sierrastar.com. This means you agree not to copy, modify, publish, transmit, create derivative works from, transfer, sell or display the content, including logos, trademarks or service marks, or otherwise violate the proprietary rights of sierrastar.com or others.
- You will not reuse, republish or otherwise distribute the content or any modified or altered versions of it, whether over the Internet or otherwise, and whether or not for payment, without the express written permission of The SIERRA STAR or a third-party copyright holder.
- You will cooperate promptly and completely with any reasonable request by The SIERRA STAR related to an investigation of infringement of copyright or other proprietary right.
To obtain permission to reuse or republish any material copyrighted by The SIERRA STAR, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. For permission to reuse or republish The SIERRA STAR copyrighted material in printed formats, contact the permissions editor in the Newsroom at email@example.com. The SIERRA STAR cannot grant permission to reuse or republish material from other information providers, such as the Associated Press or New York Times News Service. Please contact them directly.
Member Content is any information, including photographs, you provide to us or other users in the registration process, in any public message area (including the forums area) or through any email feature. You are solely responsible for Member Content, and we act as a passive conduit for your online distribution and publication of Member Content. Member Content must conform to the guidelines set forth under Community Publishing Guidelines below. sierrastar.com reserves the right to remove any material that it believes may violate these Terms or Use, or any copyright or third-party rights.
If you believe that sierrastar.com or any user of sierrastar.com has infringed your copyright in any material way, please notify our Copyright Agent and provide the following information:
- An identification of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed.
- An identification of the material on sierrastar.com that you claim is infringing or is subject to infringing activity, with enough detail so that we can locate the material on our site.
- Your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address.
- A statement by you that you have a good-faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent or the law.
- A statement by you declaring that the above information in your Notice is accurate, made under penalty of perjury, and that you are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright interest involved.
- Your physical or electronic signature.
The Copyright Agent for sierrastar.com is Karole Morgan-Prager, General Counsel, who can be reached at 2100 Q Street, Sacramento, CA 95816 , or at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 916-321-1828.
The SIERRA STAR, sierrastar.com and its logos are registered service marks or trademarks.
By submitting any Member Content to sierrastar.com, including photographs, you automatically grant The SIERRA STAR and sierrastar.com a nonexclusive, royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual, sublicensable (through multiple tiers), license to use, modify, copy, distribute, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, publish, adapt, create derivative works of, distribute, transfer or sell any such content, for any purpose, including commercial purposes, without any payment to you, in any type of media or in any form now known or later developed. In addition, you automatically waive and give up any claim that any use of such content violates any of your rights, including privacy rights, publicity rights, moral rights or any other right, including the right to approve the way sierrastar.com uses such content.
Community Publishing Guidelines
sierrastar.com encourages a free and open exchange of ideas in a climate of mutual respect. sierrastar.com welcomes your participation in our online discussion and comment posting systems. We hope these forums offer you the chance to interact with our writers and each other.
In order to keep these forums enjoyable and interesting for all of our users, we ask simply that you follow these minimal rules. These rules are only a minimum; in addition to complying with these rules, we ask that you also exercise common sense and generally be considerate toward your fellow users. By participating either in our online discussion and comment posting systems, you are consenting to these rules.
- You agree that you are fully responsible for the content that you post. You will not knowingly post content that violates the copyright, trademark, patent or other intellectual property right of any third party and that you will remove the same should you discover that you have violated this provision. Likewise, you may not post content that is libelous, defamatory, obscene, abusive, that violates a third party's right to privacy, that otherwise violates any applicable local, state, national or international law, or that is otherwise inappropriate. You will indemnify The SIERRA STAR, its employees, agents, and affiliates from any and all claims and/or damages (including but not limited to reasonable attorneys' fees) resulting from any claim brought by any third party relating to content you have posted.
- You understand and agree that sierrastar.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties. You further understand that sierrastar.com does not and cannot review all content prior to its posting. Keep in mind that more than likely you will read a post before sierrastar.com staff. Nevertheless, sierrastar.com may monitor the discussion forums as it chooses and reserves the right (but assumes no obligations) to remove, edit or otherwise alter content that it deems inappropriate for any reason without obtaining anyone's consent. We further reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to remove a user's privilege to post content in our discussion forums.
- You understand and agree that these discussion forums are to be used only for noncommercial purposes. You may not solicit funds, promote commercial entities or otherwise engage in non-commercial activity in our discussion forums.
- The discussion forums are for text only. Use of graphics and audio is not appropriate.
- You acknowledge and agree that you use and/or rely on any information obtained through the discussion forums at your own risk. sierrastar.com is not in any manner endorsing the content of the discussion groups and cannot and will not vouch for its reliability.
- For any content that you post, you hereby grant to sierrastar.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, exclusive and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part, world-wide and to incorporate it in other works, in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.
To register a complaint about another user's conduct, please send an e-mail message to email@example.com or write to Sierra Star Post Office Box 305, Oakhurst, CA 93644.
Children's use of sierrastar.com
Other services and information providers accessible through sierrastar.com have their own policies about children's privacy, and you should contact them directly for their policies.
sierrastar.com strongly recommends that parents supervise the use of the Internet by their children. A number of commercial products are available to help limit access to material on the Internet that you may consider harmful or inappropriate for your child.
While sierrastar.com strives for accuracy, it does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information or database on our service. Nor does sierrastar.com guarantee or warrant that any files available for downloading will be free of defects. Neither The SIERRA STAR nor any of its information providers shall be liable in any way to you or the other parties for delays, inaccuracies, errors or omissions in the material published in sierrastar.com.
While we take reasonable steps to ensure that no viruses, worms, Trojan horses or other destructive properties are present, the entire risk as to the quality and performance of sierrastar.com and the accuracy and completeness of any information is with the user of our service.
Likewise, sierrastar.com does not warrant that our service will be uninterrupted or error-free. sierrastar.com makes no warranties, express or implied, including, without limitation, those of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose any information published on the sierrastar.com Web site or any products or services sold through the sierrastar.com Web site.
Opinions, advice and all other information expressed on sierrastar.com bulletin boards represent the individual's own views and not necessarily those of sierrastar.com. sierrastar.com does not endorse and is not responsible for statements, advice and opinions made by anyone other than authorized sierrastar.com spokespersons.
Any investment decisions or other actions that users take based on information available on sierrastar.com should first be reviewed by a competent financial adviser or other professional.
THE sierrastar.com SERVICE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS. WE MAKE NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NONINFRINGEMENT, OR WARRANTIES REGARDING THE ACCURACY, RELIABILITY OR COMPLETENESS OF THE CONTENT OR ANY OTHER SERVICE OR PRODUCT ON OR RELATED TO THE SERVICE (INCLUDING ANY LINK TO ANOTHER WEB SITE OR RESOURCE).
In no event will sierrastar.com be liable for (i) any incidental, consequential, or indirect damages (including, but not limited to, damages for loss of business profits, business interruption, loss of programs or information, and the like) arising out of the use of or inability to use sierrastar.com, or any information or services provided on sierrastar.com, even if sierrastar.com has been advised of the possibility of such damages, or (ii) any claim attributable to errors, omissions, or other inaccuracies published on sierrastar.com.
This agreement between sierrastar.com and its users will be governed and interpreted under the laws of the state of California. Madera County, California has jurisdiction in any dispute arising from this agreement. In the event that any provision of this agreement is found to be in conflict with the law, such provision shall be restated to reflect the original intent, and all other terms and conditions shall remain in full force and effect.
sierrastar.com offices are located at The SIERRA STAR, Post Office Box 305, Oakhurst, CA 93644 559-683-4464
Questions and comments about sierrastar.com
We hope you enjoy using sierrastar.com. Questions and comments about the content of sierrastar.com may be sent by submitting an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. We read all comments sent to us and try to respond to as many as possible.
Technical questions regarding your software, your configuration or your connection should be directed to your Internet access provider. sierrastar.com cannot address questions except those specifically about content and services that we provide.