Did you know that chocolate pudding is so popular there's a national day in honor of the tasty treat? It is celebrated every year on June 26, but of course we can enjoy it any time we want to. Lately I have been having a little fun looking up national food days. We can make our own pudding from scratch or we can make it from a cook-and-serve or instant mix. We can even buy it already made. Let's celebrate all forms of chocolate pudding this week, with a tasty mix of recipes. Don't forget to have a big napkin handy to dab at all the chocolate on your face!
Chocolate pudding cake
- 1 package (18.25-oz.) chocolate cake mix
- 1 package (3.9-oz.) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup (6 ounces) chocolate chips
- Whipped cream or ice cream, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into a greased 5-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs. Serve in bowls with whipped cream or ice cream if desired. Makes 10 to 12 servings.
Dark chocolate pudding
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 dark chocolate candy bar (7 ounces), melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, grated chocolate and Pirouette cookies
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to pan and bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; gradually whisk in chocolate and vanilla until smooth.
- Press plastic wrap onto surface of pudding. Refrigerate. Spoon into dessert dishes. Garnish with whipped cream, grated chocolate and cookies. Serve warm or cold. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Chocolate and peanut butter pudding dessert
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup flour
- 2/3 cup dry-roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1 package (8-oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1 carton (8-oz.) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 2 3/4 cups cold milk
- 1 package 3.9-oz.) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 package (3.4-oz.) instant vanilla pudding mix
- Chocolate curls and additional chopped peanuts, optional
- For crust: Preheat oven to 350. In a small bowl, cut butter into flour until crumbly. Stir in peanuts. Press into an ungreased 13-inch-by-9-inch baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for 16 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- For peanut butter layer: In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and peanut butter until smooth. Fold in 1 1/2 cups whipped topping. Carefully spread over crust.
- For chocolate layer: In a large bowl, whisk the milk and pudding mixes for 2 minutes (mixture will be thick). Carefully spread over cream cheese layer. Top with remaining whipped topping. Garnish with chocolate curls and additional peanuts if desired. Refrigerate until serving. Makes 15 to 18 servings.
Jell-O chocolate pudding fudge
From the folks at Kraft.
- 2 packages (4-oz. ea.) Baker's Semi-Sweet Chocolate, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 package (3.9-oz.) Jell-O Instant Chocolate Pudding
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- Line an 8-inch square pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides. Microwave 4 ounces of chocolate, 6 tablespoons butter and water in large microwaveable bowl on HIGH 2 minutes or until butter is melted; stir. Add dry pudding mix; stir 2 minutes.
- Add confectioners' sugar, 1 cup at a time, stirring after each addition until well blended. Press onto bottom of prepared pan.
- Microwave remaining chocolate and butter in large microwaveable bowl 1 1/2 minutes or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Spread over pudding mixture. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm. Makes 24 servings.