Cal Fire Madera/Mariposa/Merced Unit would like to remind the public to practice fire safety this holiday season. During this hectic time of year remember fire knows no holiday. Be cautious with ornaments, fireplaces, wood stoves, Menorahs, and Christmas trees.
Never leave a burning candle unattended.
Always keep candles away from children.
When placing your candles remember to keep them away from decorations, pets, bedding, and curtains.
Never place your candle on any type of cloth, doily, or wood; it is safer to place the candle on a metal surface or container.
Never use a candle near a tree or as a decoration on a tree.
Always extinguish any flame before you go to sleep at night or leave your home.
Do not dispose of fireplace and wood stove ashes until they are dead out. Heat can stay in ashes or coals for 3-7 days after your fire is out.
Never place ashes or coals into paper bags or plastic containers.
Always use a metal container to transport the ashes or coals to a safe place.
Never place ashes or coals into a Dumpster or trash can for disposal. They can and do start fires.
Make sure your tree is fresh, re-cut the trunk at least one inch above the old cut and keep the fresh cut end of the tree trunk in water.
Never place your tree near a heat source. Check the water level in the Christmas tree stand daily.
Never use old or frayed electrical cords on or near your tree.
Never place candles on a Christmas tree.
Promptly remove your tree after the holiday and dispose of properly.
For more safety tips, visit the nearest Cal Fire, Madera or Merced County Fire Station or www.fire.ca.gov.